Media and digital literacy eduaction: themes, stakes and implementation
December 4, 2021
This seminar is dedicated to Media and Information Literacy (MIL) for young people. With our expertise and the experience acquired throughout the ReNews project, we want to enable as many people as possible to master key concepts for a responsible digital and social media use. We will also share our tools, resources and knowledge to foster the development of media education in France and Europe.
Various actors directly involved in the ReNews project will intervene: some students will present their digital achievement, while teachers and other professional will share their own experience, lessons learned and recommendations. Several speakers will also adress specific media literacy topics.
ASSFAM/ARTEMIS is an association of the SOS Solidarity group, specialised in the prevention ofradicalisation and in media education. ASSFAM/ARTEMIS conducts numerous educationalprojects to promote dialogue between cultures, to fight against prejudice, and to protectyoung people against hate speech, disinformation and conspiracy theories. To date, more than 10,000 people have benefited from our experience.
More information on: https://www.association-artemis.com
The Institute for Strategic Dialogue (ISD) is an English “think and do” tank, founded in 2006,dedicated to safeguarding human rights and reversing the rising tide of polarisation,extremism and disinformation worldwide. ISD undertakes actions and research in many areas, including education, digital citizenship, disinformation and online extremism.
More information on: https://www.isdglobal.org/
ASSFAM/ARTEMIS and ISD have been working together for more than a year on the implementation of a European Media Literacy project, the results of which we would like to share with you today. This project, entitled “ReNews: Bringing fresh eyes to Media Literacy” also brings together three other partners: Mouvement Up (France), Tink (Turkey) and CivisPolonus (Poland).
About 90 participants, both from the local and international network, will be invited to take part (students, high school and middle school teachers, socio-educational professionals and any professionals with an interest to develop MIL activities in their institution).
The seminar will take place on December 4, 2021, from 9:00 to 17:00 (GMT+1).
- Opening words and introduction to the seminar
- Presentation of the ReNews project and the different partners
9.45-11.00: Plenary session, Part 1
- Introduction to media information literacy (MIL): main issues and practices.
- Conference and disscussion with Khalid Aoutai (project manager for theUNESCO) about the prevention of online hate speech among young people.
- Conference and discussion with Daniel Jasmin (founder of ExploLab and co-founder of the School of Social Media) about the impact of social media andthe innovative practices on MIL.
11.15-12.30: Plenary session, Part 2
- Conference and discussion with Jordy Nijenhuis (co-founder of Dare to BeGrey) to explore the alternatives to fight polarisation and radicalisation.
- Presentation of an innovative French pedagogical platform on MIL byMouvement Up.
13.00-14.00: Lunch break
14.00-16.00: Practical workshops
- Presentation of pedagogical tools and methods developped in the frame ofReNews and Fake News Factory.
- Training in designing media content with young people.
- Training in the use of educational resources and in the supervision of MILworkshops.
- Summary of the key points addressed in the seminar.
- Best practices and lessons learnt in ReNews.
- Debate on the challenges and opportunities in MIL today.
How to get there ?
Adress: 32 Avenue de la Porte de Montmartre,75018 Paris
- By car: Exit from the Porte de Clignancourt or Porte de St Ouen ring road
- Metro: Ligne 13: Porte de St Ouen ; Ligne 4: Porte de Clignancourt
- Tram: T3: Porte de Montmartre
How to get a hotel room and compensation? (Foreign participants only)
- A dinner and a night in a hotel will be provided for participants living outside France,the day before the event, at the Maison Montmartre Hotel. To benefit from this service, all you have to do is register and provide a copy of your transport ticket for and from the event as well as a piece of identification, at the latest one week before the event.
Limited to 30 places available.
- Transport costs are offered to participants living outside France. It is limited to 150€per participant. To benefit from this service, you will need to provide a copy of the return ticket for and from the event, an identity document, a bank details form, as well as the certificate of participation which will be given to you at the end of theseminar.
Limited to 30 places available.